Re: vger rejecting messages from mediaone (ORBS is evil)

From: Daniel R. Kegel (dank@alumni.caltech.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2000 - 15:14:09 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
> > Perhaps ORBS could instead list the netblock as 'unscanned but
> > well-policed' if no addresses in the entire netblock currently
> > appear in MAPS.
>
> One problem is that you can't easily report "all hosts in this netblk bad
> except". Vixie's choice of DNS is clever, but DNS is bad for all but cases.
> I think what is actually needed is something a bit more subtle to fix the
> protocol - like a second lookup in a "good DNS"

Don't need that for my proposal.
It would be nice to have a "whitelist" service, though.

> > Is this a reasonable way to increase the value of the information
> > served by ORBS, i.e. would this reduce rejection of good email?
>
> Yep

Now all we need is someone to prototype it. Anyone have the time
to whip it up? It would look something like this:
  A map of 'poorly-policed netblocks' would be constructed daily
  by transferring the relays.mail-abuse.org zone, replacing the
  listed addresses with their netblock, and removing duplicates.
  A new DNS server, say filteredorbs.org, would act like a caching
  server for relays.orbs.org, but would modify its output as follows:
  if the address being looked up is listed as 'static',
  and is not in a 'poorly-policed netblock', its listing is deleted,
  and no match is returned.
That would allow mail administrators to use the new zone to
use ORBS' services, but ignore the staticly listed zones
iff they are well-policed. If that works well in practice, perhaps
ORBS would start using the technique themselves.

- Dan