Re: Linux 2.3.39 has 32bit uid. What about 32bit pid?

From: Chris Wedgwood (cw@f00f.org)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2000 - 16:08:20 EST

AlanC > /proc/sys/kern/max_pid ?

> I do not think that would be meaningful.
> A new distribution comes with recompiled applications.

Which one hopes would support the full 32-bit range of pids

> People installing things themselves can choose between
> recompiling the applications or configuring with CONFIG_15BIT_PID.

Most people cannot recompile a kernel, my guess is less than 10% of
linux installations use a kernel other than what the vendor shipped.

> If the default is to use 31 bits instead of 15 bits, then I cannot
> see any need for dynamically adjusting max_pid.

Sure -- for now we could have the default as 32767 -- but I see no
reason why a sysctl shouldn't exist for those who want to change it.

> (And I would prefer things to be right by default, not that we
> all have to add stuff to our rc scripts with
> echo 2147483647 > /proc/sys/kern/max_pid
> or so. Before you know it this will grow into an entire industry,
> with scripts trying to determine whether some old ipc using stuff
> still exists, and to use an appropriate echo.)

If we fix it now -- allow >32k PIDs for those who want it but leave
it to default as is, then within a year or two, most applications
that will break will have been spotted at fixed by people who will
tweak this sysctl to a larger value.

-cw