Re: vger rejecting messages from mediaone (ORBS is evil)

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Sun Jan 16 2000 - 07:48:17 EST

In <20000115083727.A979@hubinternet.com> Walter Reed (walt@hubinternet.com) wrote:
> ORBS was intended to be a proactive version of the MAPS RBL (Paul Vixie's
> project). ORBS has been a hot debate item on various anti-spam mailing lists
> almost since it's inception. They are also blocking above.net which hosts VA
> linux systems, linux.com, Ebay, etc.

Sorry for linux.com, Ebay, etc. If they can not choose ISP it's their problem.
Even if my friend is very good guy I can not help him if he's doing stupid
things.

> Dave Rand (founder of Above.net and author of the free MRTG software) is
> violently anti-spam. Above.net is being blocked by ORBS because above.net is
> filtering probes from ORBS.

If above.net is filtering probes from ORBS *I* want it to be blocked. ORBS can
not magically install itself on host. It's sysadmin who choose if he want to
use ORBS or not. And if he choose to use it he want reliable information, of
course.

> Above.net feels that ORBS probes are network abuse (rightly so IMHO.)

It's their choice. Then they will not be able to use linux-kernel and some
other mailing list, send mail to some peoples (more and more in time).

> Basically, ORBS is run by a megalomaniac who wants to force his views on others.
> He is loosing. Nobody in their right mind that knows the story of ORBS would
> use ORBS to block email. MANY systems are in ORBS database because the systems
> admins disagree with the ORBS admin, NOT because they are open relays.

They blocked ORBS. It's enough. What they are saying is not relevant. What
they are doing IS relevant. ORBS does not send incorrect mails, it does not
send incorrect IP/TCP/whatever packets and it does not produce a lot of traffic.
The only reason to block ORBS is to make addition to ORBS's blacklist faster.
And if above.net wants to be blocked... They are blocked. What a problem ?