Re: vger rejecting messages from mediaone (ORBS is evil)

From: Blu3Viper (david@killerlabs.com)
Date: Sun Jan 16 2000 - 06:27:23 EST

On Sat, 15 Jan 2000, Daniel R. Kegel wrote:

> Consider a netblock of commercial customers of an ISP, all of
> which are operating their own mail hosts. The ISP requests
> that ORBS not scan his netblock. ORBS lists the netblock as
> "unscanned". (This is the current situation.)

No. ORBS is proactively blocking address space when someone doesn't let
them scan for open hosts. All of our sites hosted by VA are under the
blacklist now because ORBS has decided that all Above.net address space is
at fault because Above.net won't let ORBS scan the above.net mail servers.

None of the VA hosted sites has open relays and they are listed in the ORBS
db as 'good' sites. All of them however are blacklisted due to the address
space use.

Global blacklisting is simply bad. It hurts more than it's helping.

-d