Re: Linux 2.3.39 has 32bit uid. What about 32bit pid?

From: Peter Benie (pjb1008@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2000 - 11:22:54 EST

Pavel Machek writes ("Re: Linux 2.3.39 has 32bit uid. What about 32bit pid?"):
> Definitely reserve enough space for 32 bit pid. Even if it will not
> happen in 2.3, it will happen _someday_.
> Pavel
> PS: I'd like it soon. It would enable to create pids that never wrap
> around, and close one major problem with UNIX.

If an application can't cope with pid reuse (I presume that's what
you're referring to), it's broken and should be fixed.

A better reason for wanting large pids is to allow you to impose some
structure in the pid space. Currently, if you have several clustered
machines sharing the pid space, you don't end up with many pids per
node. This isn't a serious issue for Linux at the moment, but it may
be in the future, and the cost of using large pids is very small.

Peter