Re: vger rejecting messages from mediaone (ORBS is evil)

From: Aaron T Porter (atporter@primate.net)
Date: Sun Jan 16 2000 - 00:54:30 EST

On Sat, 15 Jan 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > almost since it's inception. They are also blocking above.net which hosts VA
> > linux systems, linux.com, Ebay, etc. Dave Rand (founder of Above.net and author
> > of the free MRTG software) is violently anti-spam. Above.net is being blocked by
>
> Then he should fix his open relays. Sorry I _get_ (got nowdays I use orbs)
> spam from above.net. There are over a hundred open relays on above.net from
> the database. A quick test by a #linux user found that above.net's main mail
> machine appeared to relaying when fed the old <"user@domain"@domain> chestnut

        This is rather ammusing, as the system that delivers mail from
        vger to *.com *.org and *.edu is hosted at above.net. I too
        think that ORBS and most of the other black list solutions are
        evil, but are they more or less evil than spam? It's just like
        last year's black list argument on l-k about blocking dialup
        pools, is the inconvenience worth it? I for one think it is.