Tekram 390U2W and 2.4.10

From: adrian (adrian@lostland.net)
Date: Fri Oct 05 2001 - 10:15:58 EST

Hello,

   I have a Tekram SCSI card I've been using for a while, and it's always
had problems in Windows with the newest drivers from Tekram, but works
fine with the generic NCR drivers in Windows. I've never had any problems
with it in Linux until 2.4.10. If I try something like:

# dd if=/dev/scd1 of=image.iso

I get:

scsi0 channel 0 : resetting for second half of retries.
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
ncr53c8xx_reset: pid=0 reset_flags=1 serial_number=0
serial_number_at_timeout=0
scsi0: device driver called scsi_done() for a synchronous reset.
scsi0 channel 0 : resetting for second half of retries.
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
ncr53c8xx_reset: pid=0 reset_flags=1 serial_number=0
serial_number_at_timeout=0
scsi0: device driver called scsi_done() for a synchronous reset.
SCSI cdrom error : host 0 channel 0 id 4 lun 0 return code = 27070000
 I/O error: dev 0b:01, sector 400
scsi0 channel 0 : resetting for second half of retries.
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
ncr53c8xx_reset: pid=0 reset_flags=1 serial_number=0
serial_number_at_timeout=0
scsi0: device driver called scsi_done() for a synchronous reset.
SCSI cdrom error : host 0 channel 0 id 4 lun 0 return code = 27070000
 I/O error: dev 0b:01, sector 402
ncr53c895-0-<4,*>: FAST-20 SCSI 20.0 MB/s (50 ns, offset 7)
 I/O error: dev 0b:01, sector 654
 I/O error: dev 0b:01, sector 400

I've tried both NCR and SYMBIOS drivers, but same story. However, I can
successfully mount partitions and CDROM's and copy data without errors.
And, in 2.4.9, dd'ing works without problems. In Windows, the problem I
had was that the SCSI bus would constantly reset itself every 5 or
so seconds whenever a device was being access. I don't know if these
problems are related, but I thought I'd mention it. I have tried moving
the card to another system with a different motherboard, to satisfy
curiosity. The problem still exists. I didn't notice any changes in the
symbios or ncr drivers. Any ideas? Thanks.

Regards,
Adrian