Re: Ext3 File System "Too many files" with snort

From: Hans Reiser
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 13:45:53 EST

jmerkey@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

jmerkey@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I may alter the on disk structures to increase this to something larger, say

16,000,000,

which would break ext3 on other systems. I will look at the code for this

see if this is

even possible without the FS meta data growing so huge, it renders

performance

poor.

These types of limits should probably be done away with with an

architectural

change,

It's not only ext3 - one reason this limit is there because
in the old stat st_nlink was 16bit only. Now that stat64 is there
and glibc uses it by default it could be increased to 32bit, but you would need to think what to do with old applications that stat the directory. For files >2GB old stat returns an errno, maybe this would need to be done for such directories too.

Andi,

Sounds like this is correct. I will look at statfs(). I am very familiar with this section of linux with the VFS. We should make this value 32 bit. One solution would be to instrument a versioning field in the superblock so we can write the smarts into ext3/2/reiser to handle
different on-disk structures. when a supoerblock gets read, it could detect waht type of on disk structures are instrumented.

Just use reiser4 which has disk format plugins. reiserfs v3 should stay stable and undisturbed.

Jeff

-Andi