Re: GCC 3.4 and broken inlining.

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 13:42:07 EST

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 06:51:46AM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> Nigel Cunningham <ncunningham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> I think a better solution would be to apply the appended patch
>
> And then just mark the function you know needs to be inlined
> as __always_inline__. I did this on x86-64 for some functions
> too that need to be always inlined (although using the attribute
> directly because all x86-64 compilers support it)
>
> The rationale is that the inlining algorithm in gcc 3.4+ is quite
> a lot better and actually eliminates some not-so-great inlining
> we had in the past and makes the kernel a bit smaller.

Making the kernel a bit smaller is a small improvement.

Runtime errors caused with gcc 3.4 are IMHO much worse than such a small
improvement or three dozen compile errors with gcc 3.4 .

The effect of your patch with gcc 3.4 would be nearly:
Ignore all old inlines and add something new that does what inline
did before.

Wouldn't it be a better solution if you would audit the existing inlines
in the kernel for abuse of inline and fix those instead?

> -Andi
>
> P.S.: compiler.h seems to be not "gcc 4.0 safe". Probably that needs
> to be fixed too.

My copy of compiler.h says:

<-- snip -->

#if __GNUC__ > 3
# include <linux/compiler-gcc+.h> /* catch-all for GCC 4, 5, etc. */

<-- snip -->

What exactly is wrong with this?

cu
Adrian