Re: Ext3 File System "Too many files" with snort

From: jmerkey
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 13:33:22 EST

> jmerkey@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> > I may alter the on disk structures to increase this to something larger, say
> 16,000,000,
> > which would break ext3 on other systems. I will look at the code for this
> see if this is
> > even possible without the FS meta data growing so huge, it renders
performance
> poor.
> > These types of limits should probably be done away with with an
architectural
> change,
>
> It's not only ext3 - one reason this limit is there because
> in the old stat st_nlink was 16bit only. Now that stat64 is there
> and glibc uses it by default it could be increased to 32bit,
> but you would need to think what to do with old applications that
> stat the directory. For files >2GB old stat returns an errno,
> maybe this would need to be done for such directories too.

Andi,

Sounds like this is correct. I will look at statfs(). I am very familiar
with this section of linux
with the VFS. We should make this value 32 bit. One solution would be to
instrument a
versioning field in the superblock so we can write the smarts into ext3/2/reiser
to handle
different on-disk structures. when a supoerblock gets read, it could detect
waht type of
on disk structures are instrumented.

Jeff