Re: APM realy sucks on 2.6.x

From: Sebastian Kloska
Date: Mon Jun 07 2004 - 03:16:06 EST

Denis Vlasenko wrote:

On Saturday 05 June 2004 20:18, Sebastian Kloska wrote:

Thanks for the patch

Unfortunately that didn't do the trick. It does not even suspend
sometimes when hitting the suspend button. This is very strange.
It reproducible does not resume the second time. Seems like
the system has been left in an unstable state after the first
suspend/resume cycle. I'm definitely not the born hardware/BIOS
programmer although I have been involved in graphic device
programming (a pain) but in this this case which is a real pain I
would be willing to at least help by further debugging the issue.
Kernel 2.4.x proved that the BIOS can be talked into properly
interacting with linux. So it's at least not totally brain dead.

One might argue that the hardware is already a little bit out dated
but I really do not have the resources to buy a new
laptop every year and it also represents some kind of masochistic
challenge to get this thing going. But I really do not know how
to debug the stuff or where to look.

Any hints how to proceed would be highly appreciated

Well, typically I pepper source with printks, rebuild kernel,
reboot, set loglevel to max, watch the log, crash, repeat.

Realy was afraid you say something like this. Now I'll follow
Michael Clarks recommentation of ripping down the kernel
to minimal functionality and add drivers/moduls until I hit
the 'bad' one. ... keep you informed

--
vda

--