Re: linux kernel config converter

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 09:36:44 EST

David Lang wrote:
> 1. does this handle the cross directory dependancies?

I presume you are talking about Roman's tool, so I'll let him answer. I
think he just implemented a converter to a new language, so new language
tools to parse the language don't exist yet, I think.

> 2. does it handle the 'I want this feature, turn on everything I need for
> it'?

This is fundamentally impossible for anything beyond the most simple
features. Although you can do a lot with config.in info, "everything I
need" is something a human needs to define in many cases.

> 3. if it handles #2 what does it do if you turn off that feature again
> (CML2 turns off anything it turned on to support that feature, assuming
> nothing else needs it)

This is a policy decision. I'm not sure one -wants- to do this...
Doing something like this blindly can have unintended side effects, i.e.
violate the Principle of Least Surprise.

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik      | "Why is it that attractive girls like you
Building 1024    |  always seem to have a boyfriend?"