Re: linux kernel config converter

From: Giacomo Catenazzi (cate@debian.org)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 09:32:08 EST

Roman Zippel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Giacomo Catenazzi wrote:
>

>>1) default: Eric proposed to include defaults in configuration,
>> but it seems that is a bad things, and defaults should be arch
>> specific. (I don't remember the discussion, but you can
>> parse the kbuild list, torque.net time)
>>

> The defaults are just 1:1 representation of the current define_xxx
> statements. These can be of course later moved or depreciated or whatever.

Ok. But actually the defaults come mainly from config.def.
The define_xxx are uset to set a symbols in some situations.

BTW for people who like the old configure (or fix it):
: if xxx
: define_bool CONFIG_FOO
: else
: bool CONFIG_FOO
: fi
is incorrect. You should revert the definition order
(before bool than define_bool) else xconfig will break.

>>2) One of the problem in actual configure are the dependencies.
>> FOO depend on BAR and BEER.
>> Wat are the possible value of FOO if BAR=m, BEER=y.
>> In kernel we have some drivers thet need foo to be n or y,
>> in other cases: n or m.
>> The logical operators hide the true dependency table.
>> (don't expect developers read the docs: the logical operators
>> seems like C operators, so they use like C, but they forget
>> the third case (=m) ).
>>

> For most cases I've seen it can be very simply defined with:
> (a && b && ...) = min(a, b, ...)
> (a || b || ...) = max(a, b, ...)
> for 'n'=0, 'm'=1, 'y'=2

With this you have a value (i.e. n,m,y).
How is the actual symbol range?

CONFIG_FOO:
  dep: (FREE? && BEER?)

how you tell configuration rools that
FOO can be only min/max of (FREE? && BEER?)

> Do you have some real examples?

No by hand. But I can search in rules.

>>Do you use the python identation mode?
>>

> No python. Just c, flex and bison. :-)

I mean: Do you use pythons mode to tell when a
help description end (no tab: new symbol), few spaces:
is symbol help or configuration symbols)

        giacomo