Re: Kernel-2.4.17pre8 & invalidate: busy buffer

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt (benh@kernel.crashing.org)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 04:29:08 EST

>Hello,
>
>Currently while running on a RedHat Linux 7.2 box with kernel-
>2.4.17pre8, whenever I run the "hdparm -t /dev/sda3" command, the
>following error message will appear around 33+ times
>in /var/log/messages as well as "dmesg" .
>
>invalidate: busy buffer
>
>The machine in question is a Dell PowerEdge 2550 with an AACRAID
>controller and 2 x 18GB HDs in RAID-1 configuration and /dev/sda3 being
>mount as / .

That's interesting. I've been seeing this message for some time now
(I think since around 2.4.15 at least, maybe longer). I modified the
printk to display the device number, and at that time, it seemed to
always originate from the partition that had a mounted HFS volume.
So I just added that to my (long) list of HFS bugs to fix when I
find enough time to dive into it.

However, I just got a report from some users having the same message
displayed when using parted and with no HFS partition (HFS filesystem
not loaded). I personally see this messages when using/leaving MacOnLinux
emulator (which is opening the block device of a partition that is also
mounted), or when shutting down the box.

Al, any clue ? Something you want me to do to track it further down ?

Ben.