Re: 2.4.16 & OOM killer screw up (fwd)

From: Ken Brownfield (brownfld@irridia.com)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 17:05:51 EST

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 01:43:46AM +0100, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
| On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 05:08:44PM -0200, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
| > Andrea,
| > Could you please start looking at any 2.4 VM issues which show up ?
|
| well, as far I can tell no VM bug should be present in my latest -aa, so
| I think I'm finished. At the very least I know people is using 2.4.15aa1
| and 2.4.17pre1aa1 in production on multigigabyte boxes under heavy VM
| load and I didn't got any bugreport back yet.
[...]

I look forward to this stuff. 2.4 mainline falls down reliably and
completely when running updatedb on systems with a large number of used
inodes. Linus' VM/mmap patch helped a ton, but between general VM
issues and the i/dcache bloat I'm hoping that I won't have to redirect
my irritated users' ire into a karma pool to get these changes merged
into mainline where all of the knowledgeable folks here can beat out the
details.

I do think that the vast majority of users don't see this issue on
small-ish UP desktops. But I'm about to buy >100 SMP systems for
production expansion which will most likely be effected by this issue.
For me that emphasizes that these so-called corner cases really are
show-stoppers for Linux-as-more-than-toy.

Gimme the /proc interface (bdflush?) and lets bang on this stuff in
mainline. I need to stick with the latest -pre so I can track progress,
so 2.4.17pre4aa1 (or 10_vm-19) hasn't been a possibility for me... :-(

Cheers, just venting,

--
Ken.
brownfld@irridia.com

PS: Nice catch on the NTFS vmalloc() issue.