ne.c (ISA ne2k) problems in 2.4.x

From: Mikael Pettersson (mikpe@csd.uu.se)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 08:35:57 EST

Are there any known bugs in the ISA NE2000 driver (drivers/net/ne.c) in
2.4 kernels? I have a remote server that runs mostly unattended. For
various reasons, the NIC to the outside world is an ISA NE2000 (D-link).
This NIC works fine in 2.2 kernels, easily handling months of uptime
and plenty of traffic, but in recent 2.4 kernels, it (NIC or driver)
tends to lock up efter a few days or weeks of uptime. ifdown/ifup
doesn't restore it completely when that happens, but a reboot does.

I could easily exchange the NIC for a 3c509b or an fa310tx rev D, but I
don't know how well those would stand up to these usage patterns.

/Mikael