OT: IDE controlers

From: Shane Wegner (shane@cm.nu)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 14:55:09 EST

Hi,

I'm not sure where to ask this but I have a 60gb hard drive which hangs my
bios when I boot up. When I installed the 32gb jumper, it worked fine but
Linux gave me sector not found errors when I passed it the geometry on the
command line. I am using 2.2.16+ide. Therefore, my idea was to disable the
secondary IDE controler and then bootup without the 32gb jumper installed.
However, Linux doesn't see the controler at that point. It was disabled in
CMOS but I thought Linux didn't use the BIOS.

I even tried:
ide1=0x170,0x376,15

Unfortunately, there is no BIOS update available for my board. Any
suggestions for getting all 60gb of this drive working under Linux would be
greatly appreciated.

PS. I thought the 32gb jumper just changed the value reported. Why then
would it give sector not found errors.

Maxtor 96147U8, FwRev=BAC51KJ0, SerialNo=N8043VDC

--
Shane Wegner: shane@cm.nu
Personal website: http://www.cm.nu/~shane/