Re: OT: IDE controlers

From: Andries Brouwer (aeb@veritas.com)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 15:51:18 EST

On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 12:55:09PM -0700, Shane Wegner wrote:

> I'm not sure where to ask this but I have a 60gb hard drive which hangs my
> bios when I boot up. When I installed the 32gb jumper, it worked fine but
> Linux gave me sector not found errors when I passed it the geometry on the
> command line. I am using 2.2.16+ide. Therefore, my idea was to disable the
> secondary IDE controler and then bootup without the 32gb jumper installed.
> However, Linux doesn't see the controler at that point. It was disabled in
> CMOS but I thought Linux didn't use the BIOS.
>
> I even tried:
> ide1=0x170,0x376,15
>
> Unfortunately, there is no BIOS update available for my board. Any
> suggestions for getting all 60gb of this drive working under Linux would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> PS. I thought the 32gb jumper just changed the value reported. Why then
> would it give sector not found errors.
>
> Maxtor 96147U8, FwRev=BAC51KJ0, SerialNo=N8043VDC

See
        http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/Large-Disk-11.html#ss11.3
for a discussion.

Can you add anything?

You do only describe your problem in vague terms, but I would like
to see the exact kernel boot messages and error messages about your
disk. (For example: "sector not found errors", but is that for sector 0,
or for sector 66055248? "passed it the geometry" - which geometry?)
And then you mention 2.2.16+ide. What happens on a vanilla kernel?

Andries