Re: PCI DMA into USER space

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@zytor.com)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 14:48:12 EST

Followup to: <Pine.LNX.3.95.1000614161515.31726A-100000@quark.analogic.com>
By author: "Charles Turner, Ph.D." <cturner@quark.analogic.com>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Russell King wrote:
>
> > Richard B. Johnson writes:
> > > This is bs semaitics. There is no way a READ can be posted. As I took
> > > the time to carefully explain about WRITE posting. Further, of course
> > > configuration transactions are not posted. Configuration and posting
> > > are not even related. Configuration writes to the controller. The
> > > high-bit being set tells the controller this is a configuration
> > > "instruction". Such instructions are not "transactions".
> >
> > Well, obviously you are a greater authority on PCI than the public
> > specifications produced by the PCI special interest group.
> >
> > My comment was word-unaltered extract from the official PCI 2.1
> > specification. If it's not what you understand, then you are WRONG.
>
> Strange! This guy's gotten all our PCI devices to run just fine, in
> time-critical applications, no less.

"This guy" has a history of writing lengthy lectures on subjects he
clearly doesn't understand (such as the case above, or more
dramatically, his long lecture about C which pretty much boiled down
to not understanding the difference between precedence and sequence
points.)

I'm glad he seems to do his research before actually going ahead and
implementing something. This is -- and I'm not the slightest bit
facetious here -- an important skill far too many people lack.

        -hpa

http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt