Re: OT: IDE controlers

From: Andries Brouwer (aeb@veritas.com)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 18:34:08 EST

On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 03:22:36PM -0700, Shane Wegner wrote:

> > See
> > http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/Large-Disk-11.html#ss11.3
> > for a discussion.

> Interesting, that one seems newer than the one on LDP.

Yes, the above one is updated regularly, sometimes several times a week.
The LDP would not be happy with such a high update frequency, and gets
a copy every few months.

> Anyways, it is
> giving me the sector not found error whether it's in my BIOS or not.
> However, I tried installing the EZ Drive utility and then it worked. Would
> that be toggling something on the drive? I'd rather not use EZDrive if I
> can help it as a) I am not booting from this drive and b) this is a Linux
> only system.

Yes, you can see from the data you sent that EZ Drive has modified your
disk. Very interesting.

Before installing it the disk answers the IDENTIFY request
with

> LBAsects=66055248

and after installing it, you get

> LBAsects=120060864

Were both of these with the jumper?

(There are now two independent variables, and hence 4 states:
jumper [yes/no], EZD [yes/no]. Maybe you can give LBAsects for
each of these? If you now boot from floppy or so, making sure
that the EZD code does not run, do you get capacity 66055248 again?)

This 60 GB drive shows a behaviour different from that of earlier
40 GB drives. I conjecture you get full capacity without jumper,
and 65531*16*63=66055248 sectors with jumper, but that the EZD
code does a SET MAX ADDRESS command, resetting the disk to full
capacity. Thus, when you prevent it from running, you should
get the small capacity again. Well, small, 33.8 GB.

On earlier drives the jumper would modify the geometry, but maybe
in your case it only influences LBAsects.

Do you really need EZD? Probably not, but we need some tests
to figure out precisely what EZD does, so that the Linux kernel
can do the same. Pity that Maxtor is not very generous with information.

I saw that my IDE command stuff has gotten into some recent kernel,
maybe 2.3.99pre9 or so. If you have time and opportunity to experiment
a little, I can send you the source of a small utility I used
three months ago to play with SET MAX ADDRESS on a 34 GB disk.

Andries