Re: new or old devfs naming scheme (Was: Re: devfs howto)

From: Sergey Kubushin (ksi@ksi-linux.com)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 07:53:52 EST

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000 almesber@lrc.di.epfl.ch wrote:

> Sergey Kubushin wrote:
> > BTW, why /dev/disCs, not /dev/disKs ? :))
>
> Seagate naming ? As opposed to IBM, Maxtor, Quantum, Toshiba, Fujitsu,
> Hitachi, Samsung, NEC ("disk" or "disk drive"), and Western Digital
> (just "drive").

And it is not such thing as "disc" anywhere in the kernel. We know
ide-disk.o, we know /dev/dsk/ from others...

I do know that it's colour which is right, not color. And I do know that
it's disc which is in English, not disk. But it could be confusing to
remember that it's disc in devfs and disk everywhere else... No matter which
one is wrong, it has to be consistent...