Bogomips halved under 2.3.47 - APIC

From: Dave Caswell (davec@asylum.apocalypse.org)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 07:59:46 EST

I've just started to try out the 2.3.x kernels, and I've noticed
something strange. The user space bogomips program reports a speed
about half of the value reported in /proc/cpuinfo. The kernel value
is 264.60 BogoMIPS. The user space program reports around 118.

Under kernel version 2.2.14 the values are much closer. The bogomips
program reports around 250, which seems like a reasonable difference.

I even copied the __delay function out of arch/i386/lib/delay.c, but
that didn't change the bogomips reported.

Ah Ha! I just recompiled 2.3.47 without IO-APIC support, and the
bogomips are behaving properly. The computer where I see this is a
Toshiba 445CDX laptop, which as far as I know, doesn't have any APIC
hardware.

I hope this observation proves useful to someone.

-dave caswell