Re: [Semi-OT,important] ORBS globally blocks users of these lists

From: Jonathan Nicholson (jjn@sanger.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 04:02:56 EST

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Jonathan Nicholson wrote:
>
> > My 2p - ORBS just doesn't do checking correctly, we got a message
> > a few months back saying we were to be black holed - but we're not
> > an open relay, Janet tested us over a year ago and gave us a clean
> > bill of health... Their checks just gave bogus answers.
>
> ORBS doesn't do that until they get the try-to-relay
> message back in their own mailbox.
>
> The fact that the message was relayed back to the
> ORBS server indicates that your server must be in
> error.
>
> No matter how `broken' the tests of ORBS are,
> without your server relaying the message back
> to them it won't get blacklisted.

I watched the log files of their tests - the only message that went out of
our system was one saying 'relaying denied'. Now the bounce message may
have had enough of their original message to fool their system into
thinking that they had been sucessful in the relay attempt.

I haven't heard from them in many months (May 99) and we've had no
complaints that mail isn't getting through...

Regards,

Jonathan