Re: Linux 2.3.39 has 32bit uid. What about 32bit pid?

From: Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 16 2000 - 21:40:57 EST

Khimenko Victor writes:

>>> If the default is to use 31 bits instead of 15 bits, then I cannot
>>> see any need for dynamically adjusting max_pid.

I'd like 3-digit PID numbers on my personal system. They are easy
to remember and easy to type.

>> Sure -- for now we could have the default as 32767 -- but I see no
>> reason why a sysctl shouldn't exist for those who want to change it.
>
> Hmm. Now I can understood Andries :-(( It was never worked before and will
> not work here. Peoples are LAZY. Program authors are lazy as well. So they
> WILL NOT fix programs if they are works "by default". THE ONLY way to go is
> to make default max_pid > 32767 (8323071 or 4161535 perhaps to help make
> clusters). Then old programs will be broken and will be recompiled. If
> default will not break them they'll not be recompiled and fixed forever.

There are currently 11 columns for COMMAND in "ps l" output.
There would be only 1 column with 31-bit PID numbers.
All login shells would look like "-", and all swapped out
processes would look like "[". ROTFL... no thanks dude!

Who actually needs this? If someone has hit a 32767-process limit
by design (not be fork bomb), speak up. Would 99999 be enough?