Re: Linux 2.2.11pre4

Rudolf Leitgeb (leitgeb@variable.stanford.edu)
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 16:08:09 -0700

On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> I wouldn't know, because it's not documented in the man-page due to the
> silly FSF hatred towards man-pages and being easy to use.

Heh. The obvious solution has always seemed to me that man(1) should be
taught about info files.

> What does .PRECIOUS do? I assume it avoids removing the file, and if so,
> yes it sounds like it would fix the issue, but it is actually officially
> documented and supported?

.PRECIOUS seems to be an old thing. It's also described in the O'Reilly
book about make (printed many years ago), and it is not described as
platform specific feature. I assume you can safely rely on it. No idea
why the man page doesn't mention anything ...

Cheers

Rudi

--