Re: Problem with Encryption

Marc Mutz (Marc@Mutz.com)
Tue, 03 Aug 1999 01:06:39 +0200

Jonathan C. Masters wrote:

> Hi,
> I've applied the International kernel patches for 2.2.10 but after
> rebuilding losetup, I can't seem to mount a device correctly. Here's the
> output:
>
> [root@periscope util-linux-2.9s]# losetup -e rc6 /dev/hdb4 /dev/loop0
> Password :
> ioctl: LOOP_SET_FD: Input/output error
# losetup -e rc6 /dev/loop0 /dev/hdb4; echo ':-)'.

> [root@periscope util-linux-2.9s]#
>
> I haven't previously set a password. Should I have set a password using
> something else first? Any Ideas?

No. losetup hashes the Passphrase to create the key to {de,en}crypt the
loop-dev. The Passphrase isn't stored anywhere.

Marc

--
Marc Mutz <Marc@Mutz.com>                    http://marc.mutz.com/
University of Bielefeld, Dep. of Mathematics / Dep. of Physics

PGP-keyID's: 0xd46ce9ab (RSA), 0x7ae55b9e (DSS/DH)