Re: The stability crisis

Pauline Middelink (middelin@polyware.nl)
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 10:42:44 +0200

On Tue, Jun 29, 1999 at 05:33:27PM -0600, donthomp@luna.cs.unm.edu wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
>
> > The machine is a Cyrix 6x86MX (no SMP) running RedHat 5.1 with most of the
> > packages at either 5.2 or 6.0 versions. MTRR is enabled in the kernel but
> > I haven't used it for anything yet so I would assume that it is not
> > causing problems. I don't run X. No quotas.
>
> I had a machine with a cyrix 6x86 pr200+ in it. I could barely get a week
> uptime out of it without it crashing on 2.2.x kernels. However, the
> crashes occured in a pretty regular pattern. It happened during periods
> where the cpu had been been hammered on for several hours (0.50 load or
> above). The cyrix 6x86 series have a real problem with overheating. The
> set6x86 program is supposed to help keep the heat down, but when the load
> is high it does absolutely no good.

Another datapoint, I've a Cyrix 6x86 running contigniously for 12 days
now, and its never idle. (Running rc5des /and/ framegrabbing a image
from my outside camera every 30 seconds) The reason is only ran for
12 days was because 2.2.10 came out and I (ofcourse) needed to upgrade.

RH6.0; MTRR;BIGPHYSAREA;IPV6; egcs-1.1.2 compiled.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Pauline Middelink

--
PGP Key fingerprint = DE 6B D0 D9 19 AD A7 A0  58 A3 06 9D B6 34 39 E2
For more details look at my website http://www.polyware.nl/~middelin