Re: 2.1.128 / current EGCS

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 18:32:28 +0100

On Thu, Nov 19, 1998 at 05:23:32PM +0100, Mike Galbraith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 14 Nov 1998, Andi Kleen wrote:

> > > That's a known problem; I didn't fix it yet in the patch I sent to Alan. The
> > > asms in checksum.c are rather hard to convert as they'd need too many
> > > operands if they were done properly. IMO the whole file should be replaced
> > > with a new file checksum.S which is entirely in assembler - the only C code
> > > in that file has a comment saying "old compatibility stuff, will be removed
> > > soon".
> >
> > I did the conversion work, unfortunately it is not tested because the
> > resulting kernel crashes during boot. Tabs might be messed up a bit.
> >

> Thanks Andi!
>
> I had to tinker a little, but she works now. (I also reformatted a bit,
> and can only hope I didn't screw up the ppro part.. can't test that)

[...] Sorry I should have told, but I already fixed these bugs and some more
in my development sources.

Also one new feature:

CONFIG_CPU_GENERIC: If selected the checksum function is selected at run time,
this should make generic kernel images (as shipped by RedHat/Caldera/SuSE) much
faster on PIIs.

-Andi