Re: Linux-asm (was A patch for linux 2.1.127)

Simon Kenyon (simon@koala.ie)
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 17:37:46 -0000 (GMT)

On 19-Nov-98 George Bonser wrote:
> scuse me but the first Unix I saw was running on a PDP-8. It might have
> originated on a PDP-6. Unix was written in C from the start according to
> all the documentation I have read. Also, I saw Unix running on PDP systems
> before the /34 was ever produced. This includes the 11/24 and 11/70.
> Probably the best Unix installation I ever saw was a dual /44 system in
> 1984. It was the first HA system I ever worked with. It had the beginnings
> of what we now call RAID.

unix never ran on an 8
it was originally developed (in assembler) on a 7
when the moved from the 7 to the 11/45 they rewrote it in c
now - what i don't know is how the c compiler was bootstrapped
i have vague recollections that the first c compiler was written in bcpl (which was
an interpreter written in assembler)

i'll ask

--
simon