Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: Hello Chinese student

Anthony Barbachan (barbacha@Hinako.AMBusiness.com)
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 02:34:56 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Hawkins <matt@mail.goldweb.com.au>
To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
Date: Thursday, November 05, 1998 12:58 AM
Subject: [OFFTOPIC] Re: Hello Chinese student

>On Wed, 04 Nov 1998, Rick Hohensee wrote:
>
>> Red Hat 5.0 was the most broken major Linux distribution in
>> recent years, due to thier bold move to glibc.
>
>Strange, it wasn't broken for me nor many people that I converse with.
>The most broken distribution in recent years is Slackware as it insists
>on shipping buggy, outdated packages with known security holes and doing
>nothing about it.

Have you check slackware lately? While it was true that they were shipping
outdated packages and not fixing bugs for a few releases, the past few have
been much better. I usually keep my slackware system updated with the most
recent components and was surprised to find that the new version 3.5 had
newer versions of some packages than those I had on my system. Furthermore,
if you systematically check the changelog.txt file on their FTP site you
will notice that they are consistantly posting updated packages to fix bugs,
close security holes, and updating versions. Furthermore, some of the
packages that they haven't updated have been for good reasons, for example
they have stuck to bash 1.x because some some bash 2.0x imcompatabilities
with ppp chat scripts. And even this can be corrected as well as the choice
of compiler with files located in the contrib directory. (updated bsah, gcc
2.8.1, etc)