[OFFTOPIC] Re: Hello Chinese student

Matthew Hawkins (matt@mail.goldweb.com.au)
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 16:15:56 +1100

On Wed, 04 Nov 1998, Rick Hohensee wrote:

> Red Hat 5.0 was the most broken major Linux distribution in
> recent years, due to thier bold move to glibc.

Strange, it wasn't broken for me nor many people that I converse with.
The most broken distribution in recent years is Slackware as it insists
on shipping buggy, outdated packages with known security holes and doing
nothing about it.

> There are numerous patches
> for 5.0 in the errata directory on www.redhat.com.

Yes, because Redhat Software spend a lot of time discovering and fixing
bugs and security holes in the packages they ship, sending the patches
back to the original authors for inclusion, and releasing updates to their
customers.

I'm tired of people taking this as meaning Redhat Linux must be severely
broken, when in fact its the packages they have, which are common to all
Linux distributions (and sometimes wider Unix flavours), that are broken
and Redhat (among others) are just doing something about fixing these
problems. This is a _good_ thing.

Ignoring security alerts and covering up the problems belongs to other
camps like Slackware and FreeBSD. That kind of childish behaviour has
no place in a modern computing environment IMO.

My thanks to all people involved in quality Linux distributions such as
Redhat and Debian that truly care about their community and the quality of
the software we all use daily.

--
Matt