Re: IP Masq, ipchains, ip alias & 2.1.125

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
04 Nov 1998 19:00:43 +0100

In article <19981104100636.A7231@pop3.kappa.ro>,
Mircea Damian <dmircea@kappa.ro> writes:
> On Tue, Nov 03, 1998 at 09:16:51PM -0500, Neil Cherry wrote:
>> BTW Thanks I did the ifconfig eth1:1 and it's there! Thanks. I'll turn on
>> the other options and see what happens. I checked the source to ipchains
>> and I think it may in the code not in the kernel but I have to check
>> further first.

> From what I notice the alias interfaces are not shown in /proc/net/dev. That's way ifconfig doesn't see them!
> Is that the normal behaviour?
> Although if I would add a route on an alias interface the "route" program shows the real device(not the alias)..
> this is very annoying sometimes.

2.1 has no real alias interfaces - it has interfaces with multiple IP
addresses instead. Thus you can only add routes to devices, but not to
alias devices and they don't show up in /proc/net/dev. To see them from
ifconfig you need the newest nettools snapshot from vger.

> I'm using 2.1.127pre3 and net-tools-1.46.
> I see a lot of "Socket destroy delayed (r=0 w=256)" in my logs. Why?

Unless it is a real flood it is probably harmless.

-Andi