Re: Today Linus redesigns the networking driver interface (was Re: tulip driver in ...)

Doug Ledford (dledford@dialnet.net)
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 20:06:39 -0500

Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Doug Ledford wrote:
>
> >I think this is the semantic problem. The SA_INTERRUPT flag doesn't say
> >anything about the speed of your interrupt routine. It flags whether or
> >not to run the various bottom halves at the end of your interrupt. For
>
> Wrong. 2.1.122 run bh handlers (only _if_ they are marked active) after
> the end of _every_ irq handler. Take a look at the do_IRQ() function in
> arch/i387/kernel/irq.c, there' s a clear if (1).

Yes, I was actually well aware of this fact. However, must of us device
driver writers write for more than just 2.1.122.

--

Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net> Opinions expressed are my own, but they should be everybody's.