Re: Today Linus redesigns the networking driver interface (was Re: tulip driver in ...)

Doug Ledford (dledford@dialnet.net)
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 20:21:53 -0500

Richard Gooch wrote:

> Wouldn't these problems with sharing interrupts be solved by removing
> the SA_INTERRUPT flag entirely and simply having interrupt handlers

As I wrote to someone else, most device drivers are multi-kernel drivers.
In that scenario, it doesn't help to change things. It doesn't solve the
2.0.35 IRQ conflicts when this type of thing happens.

> return a flag indicating that it doesn't want bottom halves called?
> The semantics could be either:
>
> - I didn't do anything that requires a BH
>
> or:
> - I'm being called so fast that BH processing may kill the machine.
>
> With the latter semantic perhaps an alternative would be for the core
> interrupt handling and dispatch system to take note of interrupt
> flooding and start dropping BH processing. If the code to implement
> this can be fast enough, would this be the answer to SA_INTERRUPT?

I think this is the path Linus is headed down in 2.1 already. It just isn't
all the way there yet.

--

Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net> Opinions expressed are my own, but they should be everybody's.