Re: Confusing AIC 7xxx driver messages

Doug Ledford (dledford@dialnet.net)
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 20:10:56 -0500

Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Doug Ledford wrote:
>
> > Russell Lambert wrote:
> > >
> > > That originally happened to me and the way I fixed it is that I turned Auto-Termination
> > > off. I was already terminated it on the scsi cd-rom, so the card didn't need to do it
> > > again.
> >
> > Ummm, dude, read the documentation that comes with your SCSI controller.
> > The SCSI busses need to be terminated at the two ends. Just because the
> > CD-ROM is terminated doesn't mean you are done.
>
> Dont assume..
>
> /---*-----*----*----\
> CD C HDD Tape HDD
> ntroler
>
> If all are UW then no termination needed on the controler.

I'm well aware of this. I also didn't assume. Unless the original post had
a typo, he distinctly said the CD-ROM was terminated, so the card didn't
need to be. Notice that is decidely singular, and hence, does *not*
indicate what you drew above, it indicates one end of the bus being
terminated only. Hence, my response.

--

Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net> Opinions expressed are my own, but they should be everybody's.