Re: tulip driver in 2.1.11* - 2.1.21 is broken - new driver

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 11:20:23 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998 kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:

> "tbusy" was never used as lock (at least in tulip.c)
> Transmitter is locked by bh_atomic in normal mode,
> and by tx_semaphore in fastroute mode.

Btw, can we get rid of all the "dev->tbusy" and "dev->interrupt" flags,
and just use a regular spinlock or something around each driver?

dev->tbusy has always been a bug, with no redeeming features. It's really
only a way to say "yes, I have a bug, and I want to know about it" instead
of fixing the problem properly.

Linus