Re: kill -9 <pid of X>

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 08:46:02 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > The X server can avoid even kill -9 from a normal user. As it stands,
> > it doesn't do that, and I personally think it's a bug in X. But it's
> > not a kernel problem - X could make sure (by doing a "setuid(0)" to
> > renounce all use privileges) that nobody can kill it but root.
>
> Unfortunately X is about 1Mbyte of code. Running X as root would be teetering
> on insanity. Now setuid(0); setuid(somerandomxuid) and I'll listen

Sure. Whatever. The point is that the argument is flawed. And until Jon
starts acknowledging that the one argument that he's been carrying for a
long time is not even remotely true, there is just no point in really even
discussing real issues with him (and others).

Before anybody starts trying to convince me that there is kernel help
needed, they'd better have their facts straight.

Linus