Re: Patches vs complete tarballs....

=?iso-8859-1?Q?menion=99?= (menion@mindless.com)
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 09:41:56 -0600

John, (Any relation to 'Johnny'?)

I usually have 3 or 4 kernel trees on my system, named with the
Redhatstandard (maybe someone elses, but RedHat uses it) of
'linux-x.x.xxx'. Then I have a link called 'linux' obviously pointing
to the appropriate tree. But more than that, I have added a few more
link when upgrading kernels becuase of _strange_ problems:

Lets say I have kernel 2.1.110, and I am going to apply patches from
there to 2.1.115, I would set the following links:

linux -> linux-2.1.110/
v2.1.110 -> linux
v2.1.111 -> linux
v2.1.112 -> linux
v2.1.113 -> linux
v2.1.114 -> linux
Documenation -> linux/Documentation/

I suppose I may be ridiculed, but I learned from the 2.0 kernels, that
sometimes it wants to find those links. The other thing to do is look
through the patch where it fails, and see what the path is oif the file
it intends to patch, and see if the path is misconstrued, or perhaps the
file is not there. (I had fs corruption once do to a serious brain
malfunction on my part - *oops*).

Hope this helps

js