Re: APM and unwelcome messages

John Summerfield (summer@os2.ami.com.au)
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 07:38:32 +0800 (WST)

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998 Stephen.Rothwell@canb.auug.org.au wrote:

> Hi John,

Thnaks Stephen. I felt a little more reassured when I saw your name in the
source.

> John Summerfield <summer@os2.ami.com.au> writes:
> > I have hundreds of these:
> > apm_bios: set display standby: Unrecognized device ID
> > apm_bios: set display ready: Unrecognized device ID
> >
> > Here are the APM bits from .config
> > CONFIG_APM=y
> > CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
> > CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
> > CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y
>
> Try turning this off.
>
> If you want to be more adventurous, try changing linux/drivers/char/apm_bios.c.
> In the APM_SET_DISPLAY_POWER_STATE macro, change the value after the "b".
> Try (0x0100) or (0x0101).

I'm using 0x0100. I presume this is only a little less bad then not
reporting at all?

Can we kill this too?
apm_bios: set display ready: Power management disabled

It pops up on character consoles when I switch twixt X and character-mode.

I don't care that it's issued, but surely it's not critical to the
operation of the computers.

Kernel's built (oh why didn't I go to '35 at the same time). Reboot
later today.

like my sig!!