Re: Console with the recent kernels

Junichi Saito (j.saito@wanadoo.fr)
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 12:35:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 18 Jul 1998, Martin Mares wrote:

>> Using the recent kernels (2.1.10[8,9]), I have noticed the following two
>> minor changes in behavior:
>>
>> 1° I can't move the mouse cursor freely any more while doing scrollback :
>> it is as if there were an invisible barrier beyond which the mouse cursor
>> couldn't go further. With the kernel 2.1.106, I can move it as far as I
>> scroll back. I am using ps2 mouse driver as module.
>>
>> 2° With the earlier kernels, after doing scrollback, when I went back to
>> the initial screen by doing Shift+PageDown, the console cursor
>> reappeared spontaneously. It dosen't any more.
>>
>> These may well not be problems in themselvs but merely features.
>
> Do you use VGA console or VGA frame buffer?
>
> Have a nice fortnight
>--
>Martin `MJ' Mares <mj@ucw.cz> http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
>Faculty of Math and Physics, Charles University, Prague, Czech Rep., Earth
>"People disagree with me. I just ignore them." -- Linus Torvalds

Sorry for bothering you. I read your precedent message concerning these
problems but too late, after posting my message. I recompiled the kernel
+ your l-con90 with vgafb disabled. The problems have been fixed.

I have noticed, however, something strange with the screen redrawing.
The below is a part of the screen after running Midnight Commander just
after logging in.

Starting printer spooler: lpd.
Starting watchdog daemon: watchdog.
Starting periodic command scheduler: cron.

This is Linux 2.1.109.

~> $ login:
^^^^^^^^^^^
while I get the following :