Re: Non-blocking I/O

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 22:36:08 +1200

On Fri, Jul 17, 1998 at 05:10:08PM +1000, Richard Gooch wrote:

> > I don't even know if its worth it, because I think someone (Gooch?) has
> > already modified glibc2 so that the aio_* calls already do this.
>
> Er, I don't think it was me: I haven't modified any glibc2
> code. Perhaps you're referring to something else I've done/am working
> on (such as the migrating FDs code)? I've not paid much attention to
> this thread, so the context is lost on me. Do you have an executive
> summary? ;-)

- Me bleats that O_NONBLOCK should work on regular files for open(2),
read(2), and write(2)

I suggest a dynamically sizing set of kernel threads for this because
I'm too lazy to do it in userspace and have had trouble making it work
right before

- Alan says, it belongs in user space, and rightly it does, only I can't
make it work right

- I suggestion someone (you) has already done something along these line
for glibc2, which I guess must be wrong....

-cw