Re: SIOCSIFBRDADDR: Can't assign... (2.1.109ac1)

Claus Hindsgaul Hansen (pbk2906@bergsoe.dtu.dk)
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 13:00:32 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 17 Jul 1998, Adam Sulmicki wrote:

> AFAIK, it is result of IP-PNP being enabled. It is not realy clear from
> documentation, however if you read source code you will see that if you
> append
The CONFIG_IP_PNP (IP: kernel level autoconfiguration) is NOT enabled in
my setup. BOOTP is taken care of by the init-scripts of Redhat.

> to turn off PNP at all. Why does it fail for bootp? Did you remember to
> enable it in kernel? Did you try explitly enable it as :
>
> ip=::::::bootp
No, I have not enabled it in the kernel (kernel-space BOOTP actually
requires the CONFIG_IP_PNP to be turned on). The menuconfig documentation
for CONFIG_IP_PNP states, that it should only be used for diskless
booting, "because all other machines configure their network in the
startup scripts."

> If you use 2.1.x series kernels make sure you have nfs/rpc daemons up to date
> on both server and client side. I think it is the reason

The server-side which I am connecting to is running 2.0.34, so I sincerly
hope, it does not have to upgrade NFS to talk to 2.1.xxx :)

I am using nfs-server-clients 2.2beta29 supplied with RedHat. I just
tried to install linux-nfs-0.4.21, but it does not compile on my system.
Actually, I thought this was only a server-side upgrade.
This might very well be the reason for the NFS problem. Since I'm not
really a programmer, I might just wait until NFS for 2.1 is better
developed before I try it again.

Claus

Claus Hindsgaul Hansen
Bergsøe Kollegiet 2906
DK-2850 Nærum, Denmark
Phone (+45) 4550 5171 2906
claush@bergsoe.dtu.dk
http://www.student.dtu.dk/~c918280

"A day without coffee is... like a day without coffee!"