Re: SMP speed on 6x86 UP

Kurt Garloff (garloff@kg1.ping.de)
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 23:31:32 +0100

On Fri, Mar 20, 1998 at 05:48:12PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Can we move these insns downwards, until the processor vendor is detected?
> > Or we delete %cr4 again after detecting a cyrix?
>
> One problem - the code you are looking at should only be getting executed
> on the real mode boot entry of the second or later _intel_ processor,
> so Im baffled how it could be involved

Why that? It's the normal way every the CPU starts to boot the kernel.
Do other processors than second and later _intel_ processors have null
in %bx for some reason ?

> Do nops to the same size as the jmp you added do anything.

Sorry, I don't understand what you want to tell me here. I'd like to have an
official SMP kernel running on my UP 6x86, that's why I try to find a real
solution for this.

--
Kurt Garloff, Dortmund
<K.Garloff@ping.de>