Re: Reversed Stereo in 2.1.x

Itai Nahshon (nahshon@actcom.co.il)
Sat, 21 Mar 1998 02:13:24 +0300

Michael Elizabeth Chastain wrote:

> If anyone wants to pick this up (Itai Nahshon? Thomas Sailer?),
> I have some data from Scott, including a .config file and strace output,
> and I can supply copies.

I have a little progress. I could reproduce the problem with
memory mapped stereo sound using a SoundBlaster-16 card. Channels
are not reversed with my 82C931 based card, or when I use normal
write() system call (ie, using vplay -S). I do not have access to
other sound cards.

To proceed I need the SB 16 programming specs. Im just downloading
http://www.creativelabs.com/creative/devinfo/ctsbhwpg.exe (the faq
sais it's not OS specific. Why is it an exe file?) with hope that
it contains it all.

Linux 2.1.90 introduced a new problem WRT mmapped audio output. It
produces clicks (estimated on every 4KB = frag size) where output was
smooth in 2.1.89. I suspect some changes in dmabuf.c are responsible
for that.

Itai

--
Itai Nahshon   nahshon@actcom.co.il