2.1.90 and GUS classic

Steve VanDevender (stevev@efn.org)
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 09:58:21 -0800 (PST)

Ville Voutilainen writes:
> I still cannot get fully working sound with 2.1.90 and GUS.
> The symptoms are that sound players
> never finish without being actually killed.

I've seen this exact symptom when I've tried to run 2.1.90. I
didn't try an strace, but whenever I tried to run a process to
cat to /dev/audio, it would play the sound and then get stuck and
be uninterruptible. I could switch VTs and try to log in, but
each VT would hang after I typed in a login name.
Ctrl-ScrollLock showed more and more of my processes with a PC
value of FFFFFC18 (wish I knew what that meant).

Thinking that this might be a problem with the sound driver, I
tried building a 2.1.90 without sound. It locked up too after a
while, so it's not just sound that's busted.

This is 2.1.90 _without_ SMP (commented out of the Makefile) on a
486DX2/66 system, ISA-only, with a BusLogic BT-545C SCSI adapter,
GUS Classic, and S3-928 video card. To reiterate, I have uptimes
in the weeks and months with 2.0.xx, so my hardware can't be too
broken.