Re: Console in 2.1.72

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
11 Dec 1997 21:26:40 +0100

In article <E0xg76v-00026V-00@dwmw2.robinson.cam.ac.uk>,
David Woodhouse <dwmw2@cam.ac.uk> wrote:

>From 2.1.72 Documentation/devices.txt:
>> Starting with Linux 2.1.71, /dev/console is managed
>> by the kernel
>
>I dutifully removed /dev/console, which was a link to tty0, and made the new
>node, (as I'm sure everyone did when they read the changes in the documentation
>Didn't work though - I just got lots of complaints from init that it
>couldn't open /dev/console

Strange - are you sure you did it correctly ? I just booted a vanilla
2.1.72 kernel, no serial console compiled in etc, and:

[root](~)> mknod -m 622 console c 5 1
[root](~)> ll console
crw--w--w- 1 root root 5, 1 Dec 11 21:19 console
[root](~)> echo test > console
test

Mike.

--
 Miquel van Smoorenburg |  Studying to be a technomage   <*>
    miquels@cistron.nl  | "May you live in interesting times"