Re: SOCKS and Kernel

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
05 Oct 1997 17:47:33 +0200

alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox) writes:

> > They have 90% of machine running Linux. All machines are behind
> > firewall, does not have direct internet connectivity and using
> > SOCKS. The situation is allright for WWW since all browser supports
> > proxy but the problem is for other application. In most cases, it is
> > possible to get SOCKS client, but not for all application for which
>
> Thats a shared library issue. I don't run socks (I've got better things to
> do with my life) but I believe there is a socksified libc somewhere ?

Standard socks supports a small wrapper that uses LD_PRELOAD. I assume
the 'applications' the original poster refers to are statically linked,
binary-only commercial application. These are out of luck. An alternative
to get them running would be enabling internet DNS resolving in the firewalled
net, and then use a transparent proxy solution on the gateway.

-Andi