Re: Linux for JavaVM

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@noris.de)
15 Jan 1997 10:21:49 +0100

In linux.dev.kernel, article <Pine.LNX.3.95.970107173232.30178B-100000@erm6.u-strasbg.fr>,
Stephane Casset <casset@erm6.u-strasbg.fr> writes:

> Why translating the source to Java, just keep it in C or C++ but compile
> it for the Java VM... The important thing is to have the bytecode. I am
> wrong ?

Yes: you are wrong. The bytecode does NOT support such C features as
"dereference an arbitrary pointer". The Java VM is supposed to afford a
safe, "boxed", environment for arbitrary Java code snippets. You can't do
that if you would ever allow the bytecode equivalent of perfectly-legal C
code such as "*(char *)0x123456 = 0x78" to run.

--
When you don't have an education, you've got to use your brains.
                                                -- Anonymous