Re: Ideas for v2.1

Graham Mitchell (gmitch@woodlea.wintermute.co.uk)
Fri, 14 Jun 1996 01:52:21 +0000

On 13 Jun 96 at 12:28, Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:

> So, lets see, how it is currently:
>
> I have
>
> /dev/hda -> IDE
> /dev/sda -> SCSI ID0
> /dev/sdb -> SCSI ID3
> /dev/sdc -> SCSI ID4
> /dev/sdd -> SCSI ID5
>
> Now I remove SCSI ID3. 'drive does not spin underwater error'
>
> /dev/sda -> SCSI ID0
> /dev/sdb -> SCSI ID4
> /dev/sdc -> SCSI ID5
>
> :-(
>
> Not too different from the scheme you criticized above. But it is
> already in there. And IMHO it sucks. :-(

I know..... I'd like to see something like the old SysVr4 naming
scheme based on controllers, disks and partitions.... It was a bit of
a pain in the ass till you got used to it, but at least the drive
names never changed.

Graham
The world isnt run by weapons any more, or energy or money
Its run by little 1s and 0s, little bits of data
Its all just electrons