Re: Ideas for v2.1

Graham Mitchell (gmitch@woodlea.wintermute.co.uk)
Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:08:54 +0000

On 13 Jun 96 at 12:16, Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:

> I'd like to see a new harddisk device naming scheme which allowes me
> to disconnect one of my SCSI harddisks without having to rename _all_
> my mounts on disks behind this one just because Linux has a
> br********ed way to dynamically allocate device nodes to harddrives.
>
> What is wrong with
>
> /dev/sdaa0 for first primary partition on SCSI ID 0 on the first controller
> /dev/sdbc5 for the first secondary partition on ID 3 on the 2nd controller

Yes, or something along the lines of the SysVr4 disk naming
convention of c0t0d0s0, where c0 is the controller, t0 is something I
cant remember off hand, d0 is the disk number on the controller (the
SCSI ID), and s0 is the slice number (partition). We might need to
add onto that a bus number for those machines with multiple SCSI
and/or EISA busses.

> We could even make this in a compatible and decent way: Just keep the
> old sd<x> stuff and create them dynamic at boot time as links onto the
> device nodes for the drives (/dev/sdaa0 - /dev/sdhh7 for seven SCSI
> controllers e.g.).

That sounds a reasonable idea, should make the changes from the
existing default minimal, and allow the system to grow (it should
also include CDROMs and tape drives too).

> I'd really like to see this. :-)

I hate 'me too' postings, but me too

Graham
The world isnt run by weapons any more, or energy or money
Its run by little 1s and 0s, little bits of data
Its all just electrons